Wednesday 25 March 2015

Final Prints

The brief for this project was to create a series of 11 identical prints incorporating the theme of text, below you can see two of the most successful prints from the two series of 11 prints I created. Through this theme of art and text, I developed my skills as an artist by learning a new technique, which I had not explored before, of screen printing. I did this by creating a series of prints in the workshop and even gained the confidence to return and work independently to create another complete series of identical prints. I enjoyed the entire process of creating the prints, from designing them on paper and editing them on Illustrator to printing using the screens. 

Nonetheless, I did face some challenges throughout this process, which I resolved and improved on when creating the second series of prints. The first challenges I faced were digitally when editing the design on Adobe Illustrator, which was also a skill I was new to, having not used the software before. I had difficulty separating the layers of colour and my biggest struggle was trying to create the text in the shape of a circle around the Mandala I had designed. To resolve this I watched online tutorials on Illustrator and began to understand the program more, so that I would know how to use it much more efficiently in future. I also had some issues with my first prints of human error as I misaligned the second layer, or did not push the paint across the screen hard enough resulting in an inconsistent print. After experience though these issues were resolved and resulted in my second series of prints being completely consistent.