Monday 23 March 2015

Screen Printing

The screen printing first required transferring the design onto a screen and then printing in a two step process of printing the first layer and colour of the print and then washing the screen and printing the second layer and colour. The first images below show the two separate designs I created on Adobe Illustrator and then printed on paper that were transferred onto a screen. 

When creating the prints, I was very conscious of the importance of colour in reflecting the text. I mixed a turquoise colour for the first layer of the print because of its connotations, with blue levels radiating peace, calm and tranquility and hints of green presenting balance and growth. The colour thus reflects the context of the Mandala design and the text which encompasses it. After printing the first layer, I tested the colour for the outline by smudging it with my finger next to the design, I chose a soft grey colour over black, so that the lines were not too harsh and yet again reflect the softness of the ideas in the text. In the images below you can see the layers separately, as well as the final design with the layers overlapped.