Wednesday 4 February 2015

Phallic and Yonic Imagery in the Natural and Urban World

After researching my theme of gendered objects I decided to explore phallic and yonic imagery in the natural and urban world. To do this, I took a series of sketches of imagery I found outside around the University and centre of Lincoln. Below are my sketches, I found that there were far more examples of phallic imagery in the urban world, but interestingly more yonic imagery in the natural world.

I decided to make sketches of phallic and yonic imagery found in the urban environment based on what I would come across on a day to day basis, so I chose to sketch the imagery found on the walk from my flat to the art studios. The sketches depict phallic imagery most commonly found in structural objects, such as columns and barriers. It was also noted a lack of yonic imagery in the urban environment, with the few examples from this journey being an electric fan and a modern street light. Of course it must be considered the practicality of the long cylinder shape in architecture as opposed to a triangular shape at supporting the weight of a structure, hence the reflection of more phallic imagery than yonic found in the urban environment.


It is also interesting to consider peoples understanding of phallic and yonic imagery. Whilst in general conversation with peers, it was often noted that many had heard of ‘phallic’ but none had heard of the female counter part ‘yonic’. This idea is something I would like to build on in my proposal project, raising awareness of the word yonic and its meaning.