Wednesday 11 February 2015

Independent Project

For the independent project I wanted to explore a personal interest in symmetry and shapes, with the precision and accuracy of perfect forms contrasting with the freedom and expressive drawing we have previously been exploring. At the same time though, I will use the skills developed from this elective to influence my independent work, including the exploration into drawing with fine liners. 

When researching such designs I found many references to 'mandalas' in terms of symmetry and shapes. The word mandala comes from Sanskrit meaning "circle", but while forming a circular shape, mandalas are also full of triangles and squares amongst other shapes. Mandalas offer balancing visual elements, symbolizing unity and harmony.


I wanted to start this project by creating my own series of mandala designs, combining mandala designs that interest me, then forming a final series of larger scale designs using aspects of all the templates. 


Online Research: