Friday 27 February 2015

Week 3 Creating Sculptures

Once the latex had dried by the third week I needed to create a two-part mould over the latex which would be removed and used to secure the latex as the plaster was being poured in and setting. This required estimating how the mould would have to shape around the latex to be easily removed and re-applied. The problems I found once I had removed the two-part mould was trying to remove the latex from the dolls. As I suspected it damaged the wax beneath by pulling it off with the latex and it even caused one of the dolls heads to fall off (though I found this interesting due to the significance of the contrast of the head and body in this project), so I was glad I kept one doll as wax in order to preserve that stage of the process.

The last image shows the plaster poured into the latex mould being supported by the two part mould around it.