Wednesday 11 February 2015

Georgia O'Keeffe and Yonic Imagery

Georgia O'Keeffe (November 15, 1887 – March 6, 1986) was an American artist from Wisconsin, who distinguished herself as one of America's most important and most celebrated modern artists. She revolutionized the tradition of flower painting in the 1920s by making large-format abstract paintings of enlarged blossoms, presenting them close up as if seen through a magnifying lens. 
In the below paintings, O'Keeffe explores yonic imagery in a floral and seductive way. I am interested in the use of soft colours and smooth lines that create a sense of peace and beauty. This is something I wish to explore as I create my own series of paintings. 

What I find interesting about O’keefe’s art is the ambiguity of the subject of the painting to make the viewer question its resemblance to flowers and the female genitalia. This links to my previous idea of bringing awareness to the meaning of the word ‘yonic’, as an ambitious in scale and ambiguous painting will certainly lead to questions by the viewer of the painting, including my peers and tutors.