Saturday 25 April 2015

Statement

1. Situations when learning is least and most effective 
2. Identification of least and most effective study skills 
3. Proposal for studio work in Level 2

This semester I found learning most effective through critiques and workshops. The group and silent critiques were great opportunities to receive feedback and ideas for how to develop my work. The screen printing workshop was also particularly effective for me, as I learnt a new skill which I really enjoyed and returned to independently.

Learning was least effective when I focused on creating a final product, rather than a series of work. As seen in my studio proposal project: I had the ambition to create a large scale painting, which distracted me from creating a body of work and developing my ideas.

My least effective study skills were research, relying heavily on online research rather than benefiting from the resources available in Lincoln. In level 2, I intend to take advantage of resources in the library and get more involved outside of the studio, with more visits to galleries and exhibitions, as well as taking advantage of guest speakers. Over the summer break, I also intend to immerse myself in art in Norwich where I live, and London where I intend to visit.


In level 2 I propose to use research collected over the summer as basis for my studio work. Some ideas for what I would like to explore include sculptural work, which I have briefly explored through art and reproduction this module, as well as video and audio pieces, which is media I have not yet worked with but have an interest in exploring.