Monday 27 April 2015

Art and Text Evaluation

Through this theme of art and text, I developed my skills as an artist by learning a new technique, which I had not explored before, of screen printing. I enjoyed the entire process of creating the prints, from designing them on paper and editing them on Illustrator to printing using the screens. 

Nonetheless, I did face some challenges throughout this process, which I resolved and improved on when creating a second series of prints. The first challenges I faced were digitally when editing the design on Adobe Illustrator, which was also a skill I was new to, having not used the software before. I also had some issues with my first prints of human error as I misaligned the second layer, or did not push the paint across the screen hard enough resulting in an inconsistent print. After experience though, these issues were resolved and resulted in my second series of prints being completely consistent.

After creating a series of screen prints, I took another look at the theme of Art and Text through the focus of my Studio essay and my interest in the artist Bob and Roberta Smith. In response to this, I created a series of signs from the art manifesto I wrote last term, which summarized what I think is important about making art. From this, I selected key sentences and phrases to use as the text on signs made on paper and made into a book and on scrap pieces of wood. I enjoyed returning to this project from a different perspective and incorporated skills I learnt from the book binding workshop when turning the signs into a collection.