Monday 26 January 2015

Studio 1B Proposal

Initial Proposal
Before you start to think about the ideas you want to engage with this semester, think back over the interventions and presentations that you engaged with last semester.  Think about the research you did for your essay. Spend some time thinking about the following?  In your first discussion session the replies to the following questions will form the bases of the dialogue.

What interested you?
I was most interested in the theme of my essay 'gendered objects' and enjoyed researching online and in the library into this subject. The skill I most enjoyed from last term was drawing although I did not find myself exploring this as much as I would have liked through Studio 1A.


What was successful? How was it successful?
I found the group work most successful, including the video and archive we made in pairs after following a map to an unknown location. The location my pair and myself were taken to was a river in a part of lincoln we had not yet explored, this in itself was also interesting, the idea of the unexplored. 


What was unsuccessful? Why was it unsuccessful?
I found the majority of the work I produced for Studio 1A unsuccessful because I did not push ideas far enough and I lacked motivation and inspiration to produce independent work. In order to improve on this side of the course for Studio 1B I will aim to participate in more independent research in order to explore my own interests.


Which artists interest you?
The artists I studied for my essay I found the most interesting: Karla Black, Nicholas Hlobo, Cathy Wilkes.


Why are you interested in their practice?
I was most interested in Nicholas Hlobo because he explores gender, sexuality, ethnicity and his own identity in his work in an exciting way, including performance pieces and sculptures.


If you had to describe your artistic aspirations in one line, what would that be? Think about the questions you asked and answered to determine if you are an artist?
To produce self motivated work that is personal and meaningful.


How would you achieve your aims?
To achieve my aims I need to work more independently and be prepared to take risks to further develop my work. I also need to take advantage of the facilities I have available to me, including the workshops, studios and the library for research.


Are their skills you need to acquire to achieve your aim?
The skills I need to achieve these aims are research skills, independent learning skills and critical thinking. As well as, improving on my drawing skills as I am most interested in the method of drawing.


Is their support you need to achieve your aims?
The support I need is to take advantage of mentor meetings and contact times to talk through ideas and progress.


What is the context of the direction you wish to take?
I have chosen the drawing elective in order to progress in my interest of drawing. I would also like to explore drawing in relation to the theme of gender, which is the subject I began to find myself to be most engaged with during Studio 1A.


What contemporary artists will inform your enquiry?



This document will form a learning contact for the semester – obviously your ideas will develop over time in which case you should update the document in consultation with your studio tutor.